Youth & Family
Welcome! One of the vital aspects of our community is our thriving Youth and Family programming. We currently have nearly 100 youth registered in our Sunday program with an average Sunday attendance ranging from 25-40 participants. Some families come every week while others choose to come seasonally or based on particular offerings. New youth and families are welcome to participate every week. We offer additional opportunities including our monthly Soul Matters Family Groups, an annual dance party, parent’s night out, a retreat on the Mattole, and a magical Halloween Festival. Please do give us a call or stop in for a visit if you’d like to know more about our community.
Religious Education Cooperative
Our Youth and Family program is a cooperative comprised of community volunteers and paid staff.
Our Mission: The Religious Education Cooperative will offer an annual program that provides children and families love, support, community and experiences through which to explore and develop their own spiritual identity.
Our Objectives: Our Religious Education Cooperative will welcome and love all children and families. We will support children and families in developmentally appropriate ways as they:
Embody love and truth through a healthy and sustainable love of self, family, and the interconnected web of life by creating opportunities to:
- Interact with people who model UU principles through a committed spiritual practice or path;
- Explore and participate in meaningful spiritual ritual and practices;
- Develop an awareness of one’s authentic self; and
- Clarify and develop a personal spiritual identity.
Develop an open, supportive religious community by creating opportunities to:
- Weave meaningful relationships between children, families, and members of the local and national UU association;
- Learn about UU principles, history and identity;
- Develop knowledge of world religions with respect for all peoples; and
- Learn how to treat people the way they would like to be treated.
Create a more peaceful, just and sustainable world by creating opportunities to:
- Understand peace, justice and sustainability, and learn the history of work towards those ends;
- Interact with people who model how to work for peace and justice;
- Experience service to others and promote a passion for social justice; and
- Create opportunities to be present with nature and its mysteries.
Sunday Youth Program
Childcare is available for youth of all ages during the 9:00 service every week.
During the 11:00 service, we offer a dynamic program. Youth are invited to begin the service with the adults in the Sanctuary*. This service includes a Story for All Ages, after which youth transition into their classrooms as the congregation sings, Go Now in Peace… May the spirit of love surround you, everywhere, everywhere, you may go.
Exploration 1st, 2nd & 3rd Sundays:
- Meet by age level with our teaching staff.
- Preschool-K & 1-3rd C.A.R.E. Building
- 4-8th grade meet in Multi-Purpose Classroom
- Teens meet in Teen Lounge (1st and 3rd Sunday only)
Service 4th Sunday:
- All ages meet in the CARE building to work on a community service project. From January-June we cook dinner for the Arcata Night Shelter.
Friendship 5th Sunday:
- All ages meet in the CARE building together to enjoy a day focused on building new friendships and deepening old ones.
- Open every Sunday for infants and toddlers at both 9:00 & 11:00 service.
- Caregivers are welcome to stay with their young ones and listen to the service with our wireless headphones.
*Our youngest friends are welcome to begin the service in the Sanctuary with the older youth, but if it feels easier for caregivers, you are welcome to drop off infants and toddlers directly to the Nursery before the service begins.